Friday, November 11, 2016

Johann Paulson

Palli Palson with his wife Cecille Wood,
Johann on his father's shoulders (circa 1934).
Johann Paulson was born October 3, 1931. His parents were Cecille Wood and Páll Pálson. He spent his early years growing up with his Dad and his family on Hecla Island, and with his Mom at Sipiwesk Lake and Thicket Portage.

Before Dad passed away in 1997, he wrote about many events in his life. One story was that "When I was a child, I was always very sickly. It started with eczema as a baby. I have been told that they had to tie my hands and feet to the four corners of the bed, so that I wouldn't scratch. As I got a little older, I developed asthma, which stayed with me for the rest of may life. Grandfather, Johnny Wood said "Poor little Johann, he will never live to see grey hair".

However Dad did, and he went on to do many things in his life.

He wrote about some of the home remedies that he endured in his younger days, that were supposed to be good for coughs, colds, croup, bronchitis, etc. One was "a mixture of goose grease, lemon, and honey, and because I frequently had a cold, goose grease was saved throughout the neighbourhood to help me. I was fed this mixture by the tablespoonful. Another pet cure was "coal oil" (kerosene), also taken by the tablespoonful. For asthma attacks, the remedy was to inhale the smoke from a burning (smoldering) blotter that had been soaked in saltpeter solution and dried."

No comments:

Post a Comment